I have been doing a lot of thinking about our trip and as I read through all the previous posts, I realized some things were missing. I was in such a hurry on some days to write the post that I told you about all of our activities but I didn't talk about the feelings we felt or the people we met.
The people of Mexico are such a diverse people, just like anywhere you go. There were those who were looking to make a buck and put food on their tables ("Only $1! One skinny dollar for you today! Almost free!") There were those who simply did their job because it was their job. There were the ones who did their job but actually took us, the customer, into consideration. There were the ones who did their job with gusto and enjoyed every minute of it. They were my favorite.
No matter where we went, I couldn't get over the many people who were just sitting around on sidewalks, in the park, on the curb, visiting with other people. As we rode through little towns on our tour bus or shuttle van, I stared out in amazement at the tiny little shops where people went to buy food or other necessities. There were no Home Depots or Targets. No Kohl's to buy a new outfit. Not even a Payless shoes to get a cheap pair of sneakers for the kids.
What would they think if they came to our town to visit? What would they think of all the waste and surplus that we have? Would they be disgusted? Would they wish they lived here?
I can't count the times I heard one of my daughters say, "It's so beautiful here. Let's just stay here!!!" They were not just talking about the landscape. There are truly beautiful people there. Warm, inviting people that live a life that is a slower pace. A life where there are not so many distractions. Life is real. There is no need to want to impress your neighbor with the latest gadget. Because there is more to life.
I will never forget the image of a mother sitting on a curb with her daughter, putting a shoelace into the daughter's shoe. There was an older woman sitting there with them, maybe Grandma, and they were all just smiling and talking. As we zoomed past them I thought to myself, "Who does that? Who just sits outside, like they have nothing better to be doing, putting a shoelace in?"
The day we went to see the Mayan temples (Chichen-Itza), we were bombarded by hundreds of Mayans. They set up tables or lay their goods to sell out on a blanket in the hot sun. Many of them sell the same things the guy next to them is selling. Every so often you get someone who has a unique item and so you stop and look. And then of course you have the children. Oh, the children. Sometimes I would just have to close my eyes or look the other way because they tore at my heart. Young children selling handkerchiefs/napkins or sculptures were everywhere. Some wouldn't look you in the eye. Others would.
One little boy and girl came up to us, asking us to buy their handkerchiefs. I bought one from the little girl while Bonnie bought one from the little boy. Then the little boy came to me. I don't know if he saw that I had already bought one or not but he said, "Just a dollar, Lady." And me, not really wanting to look at him because he was the sweetest thing I had ever seen and I just might have tried to put him in my backpack said, "Oh honey, I already bought one from her." I thought he would walk away but he stayed and then I heard, "Please Lady, please. Please buy one. Please Lady." And then you know how a thousand thoughts go through your head in a nano second? Well, a thousand thoughts started going through my head, like: How old is this child? Where is his mother? Why is he so cute? Why is he so persistent? Do I have a sticker on my forehead that says, "This lady is a sucker for kids. She has 10 of them at home!" Why didn't he just walk away? But even after all of that, I pulled out a dollar and bought one of his napkins. I would have bought them all but thankfully I came to my senses and remembered it was only our first day of vacation and I might want to buy something on our trip.
And then there was the old woman who appeared to be 87 years old and about 4' 6" tall. She was hunched over and weighed, maybe 79 lbs. She was quite possibly the cutest thing I had ever seen. It broke my heart to think that at her age, she was out in the hot sun, selling napkins for a living. I would have popped her in my backpack too but I wasn't sure how to get through customs at the airport.
I am so thankful for the opportunity we had to go to Mexico. Not just to enjoy the sunshine and relax on the beach but because we met people and saw things that will forever change my life.
The very nice guide on our ATV tour that made sure we understood everything and were completely comfortable before we started out.
Over in the left corner you can see men working on the crafts they were selling.
A park full of people of all ages, just sitting in the sun, enjoying the day.
An artist, creating works of art!
Our guide Hector, explaining what these beautiful pieces were that were being sold on this blanket.
Hector had a passion for the history of Mexico. He was one who did his job with gusto and enthusiasm.

1 comment:
The closest I've ever been to Mexico was my Houston mission, which definitely felt like another country. I could walk around town all day and never see another white person or hear English (other than some guy yelling "I loove you, Ba-by!") and all the signs that were not put up by the city were in Spanish. There were no big stores, just little tiendas and street vendors. The people were all different, from hostile to welcoming, but most of them would try to feed us at every opportunity, even if they'd only just met us. I quickly learned not to compliment anything that could be moved, because they would give it to me! This happened several times (knick knacks, plants, decorations, a hammock)before I learned that it is only safe to compliment things like an entire room or a child! The thing is, they don't let material possessions own them--relationships are more important. I look forward to going to Mexico some day.
Post a Comment