I was driving past the fire station the other day and noticed how similar my life is. Confused? Well, let me explain. The next time you drive past, slow down and take a good look.
There were 3 trucks. Each one had the doors open wide, ready to go. Boots sat ready, just waiting for feet to jump in them. Their jackets and helmets were on ready alert as they hung on the hooks.
How does that have anything to do with my life???? Let me show you an inside look at how my evenings go after all the kiddos are in bed:
Let's just assume the child whose turn it was to wipe the counters and table has done their job and that the other child whose turn it was to rinse and stack the dishes has done their job. Whew, that gives me a few less chores on my list. The sauce pan goes on the stove and the specified amount of basmati rice is added to it for the next day's breakfast. The measuring cup sits next to the pan, waiting until morning when I will add the right amount of water to it. My Vita-Mix blender comes out from the cupboard where it's stored, to sit on the counter next to the veggies that will be blasted together to make our "green shake" for breakfast. Lunch bags get lined up on the counter in a line and chips, granola bars, etc. get added to them. In the morning, sandwiches will be added. Water bottles get washed out and lined up ready to be filled. The bagel knife gets pulled out of the drawer, to lie on the counter until it will be put to use in the morning. The cheerios and rice krispies (the only two cold cereals we eat) get pulled from the cupboard to sit and wait on the counter for anyone who doesn't want rice.
Whew. I'm sure I am forgetting something (and if so, Scott will add it in the comments section! ha ha). When we're done in the kitchen and head to our bedroom, there is much of the same organization that takes place in there. Clothes are laid out, make up is pulled from the drawer and set on the counter, towel is placed on the hook next to the shower and finally, when there is nothing left to do, we go to bed.
Basically, anything I can do the night before to help my morning run more smoothly, I do. I have always done this. But I have noticed my list of things that I do at night has gotten longer and longer with the addition of each child.
My days begin at 5:15 and I go non-stop until just after lunch when the two youngest lay down for a nap. I usually have just a few minutes when I can blog or check my email. And then it's time to get busy again.
So there you have it! Extreme type A personality? Maybe OCD? Or maybe just a mom of a large family that knows it's better to stay ahead of the pack or the pack will run you over!!!!
Does anyone else do this? What kind of routines do you have?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I noticed myself starting to do these kinds of insane routines when I was nursing my daughter and pumping as well. I can only imagine how much more important preparation would be with my daughter x 10! You are not crazy, just amazing.
Maybe that is what I need to start doing. Thanks for the tips. You guys have rice for breakfast? How do you fix it? Just curious!
Sounds brilliant to me! I usually get run over by our small crew. My nightly routine has more to do with closing down the current day, locking everything up, double-checking, looking in on the kids and almost always being the last one in bed.
Sometimes I do preset the dishes and utensils and cereal on the table.
Let me just say WOW!!!
Post a Comment