The older Levi gets, the more flack he gets about his skin color and the fact that he's adopted by peers at school. He keeps much of it to himself but every so often he will let some of it slip out. And every time he does, it breaks my heart.
Yesterday was no exception. He was talking about an incident at school that involved 2 other boys. One is black, the other is bi-racial. Neither one is adopted. He has played football and basketball with both of these boys for years.
They were trash talking and one of them said, "You were adopted cause your parents hated you!"
I instantly thought of his beautiful birth parents and the amazing 2 days we spent with them in a downtown Miami hospital, in one of the scariest neighborhoods I have ever been in. I thought of the way they held him and talked to him and things they told him. So full of love and kindness. Wanting a life they could not provide for him, their gratitude to us for adopting him. I remember that day so clearly. More importantly, I still feel the love in my heart that they shared for their sweet son. There was not a doubt in my mind that they were placing him for adoption because of the love they had for him.
When Levi told us what the boys had said, I immediately said, "Levi, you know that's not true. Your birth parents loved you so much!" My voice caught on that last word as emotions flooded to the surface. All of those previous images had already raced through my mind and I knew that nothing was further from the truth. But it wasn't me I was worried about. I reminded him of the dvd we watched about a year ago. I had taken some of our old vhs tapes in and had them transferred over to dvd's. We had all sat down to watch one that was labeled "Camping" It turned out to be the video from the day we adopted Levi.
All the kids got quite a kick out of seeing it and I sat there and bawled my eyes out. Watching it with Levi, watching his face as he watched the video for the first time, wondering what he thought about those two "strangers" on the video. Wondering if he felt some sort of connection to them. Wondering if he would laugh at the funny jokes his birth father was cracking.
Anyway, I reminded him of that dvd and told him again, this time with tears that wouldn't stop flowing, just how much his birth parents loved him and that those two willy nilly boys at school didn't have a brain in their heads if that's the best they could come up with.
He laughed it off but I hope he remembers that the next time it happens. Because it will.
I know sometimes you get to read lots of stories about Levi and adoption on here but you have to remember he is our oldest child that joined our family through adoption. We get to experience many things with him first because of that.
Getting that little glimpse into his every day life reminded me just how many things our children go through each day. It's a tough world out there. Give them an extra hug today. And make sure they know how much you love them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Levi has shared many experiences like this with me. Very hard to comprehend the challenges he is going thru. What an amazing young man.
Scott
Oh, how sad! Kids are so mean... he is so lucky to have you both for parents!
Oh wow. I can totally relate. I used to get so much crap about being adopted when i was younger. People would usually ask why my 'real mom' didn't love me or what was wrong with her to 'give me up'. It used to make me so furious because they had NO CLUE what they were talking about.
It also bothered me when they referred to birthparents as my 'real parents'. That one really irks me because my real parents are the ones who helped me make a woolly mammoth for a 4th grade history project, took me to the doctor when I was sick, attended all of my dance performances, and stayed up with me late at night when I had ear infections.
Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. People can be SO mean and inconsiderate.
Since you're not using facebook, I'll email you sometime if you want to talk about this more. i can definitely relate to your kiddos, except yours probably have it worse than I did since the skin color difference draws even more attention to it. I don't think I have your e-mail address. facebook lied to you - the address i use is janelleknight@gmail.com if you want to send me your email address.
Kids are very cruel. They don't even need a reason to be mean, but when they think they have one it is even worse. Luckily, Levi has an awesome family to support him and help him through the difficult times.
I have tears in my eyes right now. Kids (and adults) can be so cruel sometimes. You have such a wonderful family and you and Scott sound like amazing parents. I can only hope that Levi can learn to ignore dumb comments like that from his peers. He sounds like an amazing boy and that offer to let him stay with us for awhile and teach me to make hashbrowns still stands, lol. Have a great weekend!
Thank you for all the thoughtful comments! Janelle, I will email you!!!! Kandi, the other day when I read Levi your comment, he said, "My own room?? Tell her I'll be right over!" Ha ha, the woes of having to share a room with your little brother.
Tari, I love your blog, your kids are so lucky that they will have all of your thoughts and stories about them saved for them.
There is no greater act of selfless love than that of a birth mother placing her child for adoption.
Kids with limited exposure to adoption can be ignorant. The good thing is that Levi may actually change a child's life because one of these kids could be in a situation or influence a difficult situation where adoption will be considered because they remember him.
I love that your family is out in our world, opening minds to the real meaning of family. I can't imagine all of the lives you, Scott and your kids have touched in such positive ways.
My Cameron knows that God guided his birth mother in order that he could be my son. I so strongly admire birth mothers who choose adoption for their children when it is better for their child. Their love for that child is definitely immeasurable.
blah, blah, blah, I talk too much.
Just one more thing... Levi is a shining example of the love of his birth parents. I'm glad kids like these friends of his can be influenced by him.
Thank you Darnelle for your comments! We were blessed with amazing neighbors that became our very dear friends. That's what life is all about.
Wow, I'm so sorry. We just went through this last week, someone called Trey "Brown Boy" and Trey was so upset, my heart just broke.
I hope you are all doing alright, I talked with Scott on Sunday.
We love you and if there is anything we can do, please let us know.
Love Ya!
Post a Comment