CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 2, 2009

Ancestors

So having children that are adopted is always exciting. Today the kids have no school and it's a little busy, there are at least 4 different conversations going on and most of the time I have at least 7 people asking me something at the same time.

Today there was a conversation going on between a few kids about what they're "made of" for example: how much German we are or if we have anyone in our family from Ireland, etc.

I could hear Sam talking about what percentage of German/French we are. Then I hear Levi saying something like, "Ok, so I'm like 60% African and how much German?"

I had to laugh. It was so cute. The thought never crossed his mind that he wouldn't be part of whatever Sam was, they're siblings, right? We had to explain then that his heritage would be different since he joined our family through adoption and how fun it would be to trace his family history back and see what we could find!

I was thrilled to hear that comment. I never want any of my children to feel that they are not just as much a part of this family as anyone else.

Last night at dinner we were having Navajo Tacos (Indian flat bread with beans, cheese, tomatoes, avocado, etc.) There were two choices of beans: black beans or refried beans. We were going around the table asking each child what they wanted. Levi was first. He wanted black beans. Sam was next. She asked for refried beans. Levi turns to her with a very serious face and asks, "What are you, racist? Don't want black beans??" And then he flashes his big ol' grin and starts laughing. Only in our family would something like that be funny.....

Just another day in the life of the Peiffer family......

5 comments:

Rayner Gals said...

That's so funny. My dad was born in South Africa so when I was little I used to wonder why my skin wasn't darker! I used to think 'Hey! Dad's from Africa so that makes me 50% African, right?'. Yeah...not so much.

Sandi said...

That's awesome. I was adopted by my "stepdad" but we have never called him anything but our dad. The only "steps" at our house are the ones on the front porch! I can't understand how other people could have members of their families that they don't treat like members of their families!

Tari said...

Amen Sandi!!! The whole "step" thing has always bugged me!!! Your either family or your not....no steps about it!!

Lars said...

I am SO laughing. That is funny. This remind me...where do your adopted "brothas" get the lingo? I don't imagine you and Scott are passing it on.

Tari said...

For the life of me, I can't figure out how they know how to talk the talk and walk the walk. Anybody who says genetics have nothing to do with it, is crazy. You are totally right, Scott and I are about as white as you can get, so he's not learning if from us!!! (Thank goodness!!)