Two slices of yeast free sprouted whole grain spelt bread with flax,
pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds!
Kids are smart!!
Yesterday I went to the doctor about my knee. He was concerned it was a blood clot issue and asked me to go have it checked using a Doppler test (like an ultrasound). I had to go to their medical imaging office for the procedure.
As I was waited in the waiting area, I was aware of a cute little older gentleman (aren't all old people cute?) who was waiting for his wife. He seemed very anxious, wondering how much longer she was going to be. Finally they wheeled her out in a wheel chair. Her head was wrapped in a scarf (I'm guessing she had lost her hair) and she was hunched over, looking very tired. Her husband spoke to the technician and asked some questions. They were told to wait for the doctor to read the results and that he would call them on their cell phones (again, so cute when old people have cell phones).
Pretty soon their phone rang. The husband spoke for a few minutes and then thanked the doctor and hung up. I could tell by just hearing the husbands one side of the conversation that it wasn't good news.
When he hung up his phone, he sat down in front of his wife and gently explained the results to her. I could see her body start to tremble as tears started to flow. He got up to embrace her and quietly whispered over and over in her ear, "It's going to be ok. I know this isn't good news but it's going to be ok".
I felt very out of place as I sat and witnessed this very personal moment, a moment that was changing their lives for the worse. I had to put my magazine a little higher so they wouldn't notice the tears that fell from my eyes. The way he treated his wife, the compassion with which he spoke was all too touching.
I went in for my procedure and felt a wave of relief when the tech reported that their were no signs of a blood clot. In my heart I knew there wouldn't be. I'm not a high risk person for those but the doctor seemed so insistent. But because I have never had any major medical issues until this bum knee thing, I knew I needed to make changes in my lifestyle to continue enjoying good health as I get (groan) older.
This is going to be an ongoing post because the story doesn't end here. There is much more to tell. But for now, I will tell you that I'm going back to eating the way I know I should be eating. And that is the reason for showing you my beautiful breakfast this morning!!! I wish you could have seen the brilliant shade of green in my smoothie.....Mmmm. It was good!

No comments:
Post a Comment