I have so much to do today but I'm having a hard time moving away from my computer. I'm looking up medical words and terms that I know nothing about. Last night I noticed something strange that we (including the hospital staff where she was born) have never seen on Jasmine's little tailbone!
I was changing a particularly messy diaper and needed to wipe areas that don't usually need wiped (ok, it was a blowout if that helps your visual)....Anyway, I came across a small slit-like
hole along her spine, down by her tailbone! A hole in her skin that I could not see the bottom of! How very odd I thought. I sent Scott a note at work that I had just found a hole in a place where there should not be a hole. He called. What on earth was I talking about, he wanted to know?
hole along her spine, down by her tailbone! A hole in her skin that I could not see the bottom of! How very odd I thought. I sent Scott a note at work that I had just found a hole in a place where there should not be a hole. He called. What on earth was I talking about, he wanted to know?
Sure enough when he got home, he saw it for himself and decided that was very odd indeed. Then the thought hit me: Spina Bifida! That's the only time I have ever heard of anyone having a hole along their spine.
I took her in to the Doctor today and sure enough, she couldn't see the end of the hole and declared we needed to know where that hole leads. It will require an MRI to determine if it's going to be a cute dimple for the rest of her life or if it truly is indeed something more serious. She will have to be sedated for the MRI, which is never how a Mama wants to see her baby but it will give us the answers that we need.
I need to get busy. So much to do and so very little time to do it! We're in a holding pattern (as my frequent flyer husband stated) until the doctor gets the ok from the insurance company to have the procedure done. Hopefully in the next week we should know something.
Life is a gift and I'm being reminded of that each and every day.

4 comments:
Poor Jasmine. Poor parents! Our prayers are with you.
Thank you Sandi. And someday I still want to get to the "tag" you sent me! Yours was so much fun to read. It was great talking to you and Nathan!! Growing up you always wonder who your cousins will marry.....he did an awesome job!
Uhhh Ohhh...that doesn't sound good. I hope it's just the cute dimple! We will keep Baby Jaz in our prayers. I'm sure with your faith and endurance, Jasmine will be whole before you even get to the next Dr's. appt. :)
Love you!
We are scheduled for an MRI and ultrasound next Wed. the 10th, first thing in the morning. Praying for just a "cute dimple"!
Nikki, you have taught me much about faith and endurance. Thank you for your kind words.
Post a Comment