CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 11, 2010

We Love Valentine's Day!!!

Girls with their Valentine balloons from Daddy!


As a child, I loved writing on special valentine's for my classmates. Choosing just the right one for each child was a tricky task because I had to chose just the 'right' one. For example, you wouldn't want to give one to a boy that was too girly or one that was too mushy!

Some years I made homemade valentine's. I loved using little white doilies, in the shape of hearts. I would glue them on red paper and then decorate them with stickers.

I really loved the heart shaped conversation candies! Especially the white ones! There was a particular company that made them. They had a certain, distinct flavor. I'm not a fan of the new ones. Sweet-Tart's are NOT the same. Even the ones that Necco makes are not the same. I remember a year or two ago, someone brought some home in their school candy and they were the same flavor as the old ones that we used to get years ago. They were some generic brand but they were sooooo good. I haven't found them again. But I always look.


I love making homemade valentine's for our kiddos! Most years I also make them sugar cookies. I have two very special cookie cutters that I use. I had them as a child and they were my favorites. After I had been married for a few years, my mother passed them along to me! I was so excited to be able to carry that tradition on with my children.


I don't expect chocolate or jewlery on Valentine's Day. Those were things that were fun to get from boyfriends growing up but now I don't really need the chocolate and jewelery is expensive! Flowers are fun and I love getting a card from Scott that I know he thought about and picked just for me. I like the simple cards, not the big flowery ones.


As a fund raiser for Girl's Camp next summer, the young women at church sold Val-a gram's. They attached a bag of candy and a balloon to a valentine and delivered them with a song to approximatly 140 people!! Scott always buys them for the girls in the family. They delivered them last night and the little kids got quite a kick out of the whole production!


I know some people really don't like the idea of setting one day aside to shower love on those we care about. They rationalize that you should be doing that everyday. I agree. I also feel like you can never show too much love. I'm all for it!

Happy Valentine's Day! I hope you share the day with those you really care about. Shower them with love, not just the kind you buy but the kind that comes from the heart!!



My favorite cookie cutters! Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy! Only used on Valentine's Day!!


Isaiah hanging out in the cabinet with a Valentine balloon he snagged from a sister!

2 comments:

our big bus said...

What a fun idea for a fundraiser. I hear ya on the whole chocolate and jewelry, I will leave that for the young....

Sandi said...

What a fun day!