Saturday afternoon I received a phone call from one of our birth mothers! For those of you familiar with adoption, you know that adoptive family's phone #'s are not usually made available to birth mothers.....unless they agree on it ahead of time.
When this phone call came however, I welcomed it wholeheartedly!!!! It was an answer to prayers! When you adopt, questions come up that you wish you could ask but you are usually left to just wonder about.
This sweet birth mother followed a prompting she must have felt in her heart and so as scared as she was, picked up the phone and called us. She was afraid of what we would think. Afraid that we might reject her. I hope I didn't scare her with how joyful I must have sounded!!!
It had been many years since we had spoken and life has not been easy for this young lady. Choices she has made have brought heartache. She has been with men who have caused physical and emotional pain.
She had a little 18 month old girl already when she gave birth to the child we adopted and she also has a 2 year old daughter now.
But in talking with her, I gained understanding and new knowledge of things she struggles with that our child struggles with as well. Answers that now help one child's life make sense.
I wished when I hung up that miles didn't separate us. I would have loved to reach out to her and given her the biggest hug. Now that we have "found" her, we will resume sending pictures and letters and give her the opportunity to catch up on the sweet child we now call our own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You didn't mention which child... Todd is curious!
~kelly
Post a Comment