CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 2, 2011

Tender Mercies

There are times in my life when I am stopped and reminded of the tender mercies my Father in Heaven gives me.  Ten minutes ago was one of those times. 

I had a full schedule this morning, lots to do and places to go.  I was headed out the door to Costco when the phone rang.  It was someone from church.  I don't really know her, she is an older lady but I have heard her name before.  She was calling to let me know about something and when she was done, she went on to tell me how much she loves our family.  She shared something that she saw a couple of weeks ago at church.  It was on a Sunday that I was at home sick.  Scott had taken all the children to church.  At one point during the meeting, he had to take a child out to the foyer to help them quiet down.  When he came back in and sat down, she said "one of our little brown girls leaned over and rested her head on his shoulder".  She said she began to sob as she witnessed the pure love of a father and a daughter, not connected from birth but joined by love to make a family.  She said as she sat there with tears running down her cheeks, she wished that was her. 

She had always wanted to adopt African-American children but back in the early 70's, it was not allowed.  She was a foster mother and had two little brown baby boys at different times.  She begged the state of California to let her adopt them but they wouldn't let her.  One of the little boys came to her when he was 8 months old.  He had already been through 5 placements.  He would cry and cry and all she could do was hold him.  Finally one day, she was exhausted and put him in his crib, came out of his room, shut the door and leaned against the wall.  In tears, she prayed for help in knowing how to help this sweet baby.  Her answer came, she opened the door to his room and in a cheerful voice said, "Scotty, do you want to come with Mommy?".  She said he stopped crying, looked at her and she never had any problems with him again.  She said she never realized just how young a child could understand what was going on.  That sweet baby needed to feel loved.  She had been trying to keep her distance and not get attached since she knew she couldn't keep him but the second she called herself, "mommy" and allowed herself to love him, he became a new baby.

She was crying as she shared both of these stories with me and of course, I could hardly talk through my tears.  She asked a few questions about our children and shared some other thoughts and then we hung up.

I did not make it to Costco today but my heart was full as I thanked my Heavenly Father for angels on earth that remind me of my blessings when I may be too busy to remember them myself.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

wonderful!

our big bus said...

What a blessing, to have such a phone call. To see how your life touches others. How sad back then they couldn't see through color to notice a mothers love.
Costco can wait.....

Sandi said...

That poor sister. What a neat story.