CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 25, 2009

Way To Go Girl!

You will have to click on the picture to make it bigger. Hopefully you can read it. If not, here's what she wrote (I corrected the spelling so you can read it!):

1. I was: "hitting him Austin"
2. I wanted: "for him to stop spitting on me"
3. I will: "tell him to stop or tell a teacher"
Now I was more than a little bothered with this situation. This little boy did not have to fill out a "Refocus Form". Why not????
Vanessa has 3 older brothers who live up to the role of "older brother". They love to wrestle, tease, yell, rough-house, etc. They are boys and to be honest, I don't try to turn them into anything else. I believe boys and girls are very different. They can be soft and gentle at times but they enjoy physical contact!! We have always taught them that they can be rough and crazy with each other but under no circumstances are they ever to mistreat a girl (and yes, that includes your sisters). They haven't always thought this rule was fair but we have never changed our position.
Vanessa has also been taught that she is never to allow a boy to mistreat her, in any way. Period. I have seen women battered by the men who "love them" and it is something I have never been able to understand. But one thing I know for sure is that I want our daughters to understand that it's never ok to be hit or knocked around. Ever.
So I have to be honest. After hearing the details of this situation, I high-fived Vanessa and told her, "Good job!! I'm proud of you for not letting him spit on you!!" Her dad then told her maybe next time that happens, take the boy by the ear and haul him over to the teacher and let her know what he's doing and that you would like him to stop!!! Another excellent idea.
Vanessa is one tough cookie. I asked if she really hit the boy and she said she "just bopped him on the head". Hopefully he is smart and that will be the end of that!!

2 comments:

Sandi said...

I agree, way to go! I don't condone fighting, but sometimes that's the only thing boys understand. The only fight I ever got in was with a boy on the bus that would tease me and my friends every day. This one day he was spitting into a wrapper and then wiping the spit on my face. I jumped into his seat and bam-bam-bam-bam like lightening and then back to my seat. The busdriver watched, but said nothing because she knew what he had been doing to us. He never bothered me again!

Tari said...

Ha Ha!!! I love it Sandi!!! Way to go! I agree, sometimes I think it's the only language boys speak!! I remember doing the same thing at the bus stop when I was in 6th grade. A kid my age would come to the bus stop every day and bug the younger kids. I got tired of it and one day I threw him into a tree. He never bothered those little kids again!!!